Annual Governance Statement
We have a fantastic Governing Body who keep a watchful eye over all that we do. They are in place to be a 'critical friend'. This means that they have the tricky job of constantly asking challenging questions about every aspect of school.
In accordance with statutory requirements, the main functions of Homefield Church of England Primary School's Governing Body are;
- To ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- To hold the headteacher and senior leaders to account for performance of the school;
- To ensure effective and efficient use of school funds.
Our Governing Body:
The Governing Board has 12 positions; 8 are filled and there are currently 4 vacancies:
|2||Sarah Burgess||Local Authority||05/10/21||04/10/25|
|4||Elaine Glendinning||Head Teacher|
To discharge the duties of governance, the governors meet twice a term and a member of the governing body attends Budget Revision and Budget setting meetings with the LA Finance Officer.
In addition, governors will meet as a panel to hear Appeals, undertake Headteacher Performance Review, and consider pupil discipline issues.
Governors make decisions collectively, but have individual responsibilities in relation to statutory requirements and curriculum subjects.
Attendance of Governors:
All of our meetings this year have been quorate. Committees meet at least termly, with the Full Governing Board meeting half-termly.
Attendance at Full Governing Body Meetings 2021 to 2022
|Joanna Jones - Chair||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Deborah Leahy - Advisor||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Justine Petersen - Clerk||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Our Work This Year:
Our work this year has really focussed on supporting our Headteacher, school leaders and children to achieve our SIDP vision and achievement targets; to become an "Outstanding” school. We have concentrated on supporting our school leaders to prepare for a COVID-Secure school environment and in making sure that we as a Governing Body are ready to support in any way we can as the "critical friend."
Each Governor has a role and leads the accountability for a topic / policy area for e.g. Safeguarding or SEND. Governors come into school at least once a term to see staff about their policy area and their link role. Governors also visit for Challenge Days looking at many different areas of the school. Governors are asked to write a brief report about their visit to inform the Governing Body of any issues. This might include the need for further resources or a change to policy. We think that this approach supports and strengthens our ability to challenge school leaders and ensure good use of resources.
This has included;
- Refining data and bringing together data to show pupil progress.
- Ensuring Governors understand the different data that is presented to us and the main trends and stories for our school. We have shared and analysed data in many different ways and have levelled challenge regarding it towards our school leaders.
- Supported the external validation of our school leading up to Ofsted/SIAMS.
- We have supported the Headteacher in decisions to ensure the quality of teaching at our school is of the highest standard; investing in single form entry classes; interventions and re-organisation of staff members during the year to ensure that skills and experience were placed where they are most needed.
- We have recently approved of the manner in which our Sports' Premium and Pupil Premium monies are being spent and challenged the legacy of the spend.
- We agreed to redesign the way our school taught Guided Reading and Writing and implemented new initiatives to enhance the learning provision in these areas for our pupils.
- In terms of budget and resources, our priority is to redesign the changing room facilities to increase the number of lavatories and hand sinks the school has available.
- Safeguarding and making sure that our safeguarding procedures continue to be robust and to the highest standard has been another regular key area of focus for the governing body.
Future Plans for the Governing Body:
Please feel free to come and speak to the Governors at any time about any concerns you may have.
If you wish to contact the Chair of Governors, please write an email addressed to email@example.com marking in the subject reference, "CONFIDENTIAL CHAIR."